Sunday, January 4, 2015

Black Widow

"I cannot believe you could think such a thing, Lolly!" Virginia Tooley exclaimed, her fan fluttering in indignation.  "Mrs. Crane is not a lady to associate with, according to the word among the highest circles."
"I only meant that --"
"Really. It is a pity that her husband died so early on.  She's young still and could marry again but for pity's sake, she has worn black for three years!  And in all that time of mourning it appears she has never shunned other fellows' advances!"
My eyes followed the gracefully tall figure, swathed in black organza, as she surveyed the ballroom from the doorway.  "It can't be said that she has encouraged them either, Virginia," I protested.  "No one has ever seen --"
"Right, right.  No one has ever seen her with a young man alone."  Ginny's blue eyes widened earnestly as she whispered, "But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen!  And don't you laugh at me!"  A smile must have peeked through my attempt to frown conspiratorially.  "One day we'll all find out and I'll be right!"
Now I chuckled openly.  "And on that day, Ginny, I will give you my favorite hat."
"It's a deal," she grinned.
We turned out again from our place near the punch table, watching the guests of the Allen Family's annual December dance arrive.   The whole town was invited, as always, and one of the highest forms of entertainment was seeing all of the neighbors step out in their finery.  I always looked forward to the laughable Mr. Teasworth, the schoolteacher, in his ridiculous head-to-toe green velvet suit.  And there were the young men to consider - Ginny and I had our eyes out for the Lovett brothers.
"Ooh, there's Mr. and Mrs. Beauchant!" squealed Ginny.  "Look at her diamonds!"
"It's amazing how well his fur trade must be doing to afford such finery."
"Oh I hardly think that's the case - it's her family money that helps with their luxury" a smooth, velvety voice interrupted from behind us.
"Why Mrs. Crane!"  Ginny's voice jumped several octaves.  "How did you sneak up on us?!"
Mrs. Crane's apple red lips curled slyly at the corners.  "Isobel, please, my dear.  You must call me Isobel."

No comments:

Post a Comment