Saturday, May 16, 2015

Saturday Songs

I want to do a Music Monday... but it's Saturday so we're going with "Saturday Songs" for this musical segment!

Today's feature are two of my favorite bluegrass/folk/country-lite [??] bands.  Both consist entirely of fabulous ladies.

First - The Good Lovelies:
"Best I Know"


The Good Lovelies are a Canadian group headed by the vocal and instrumental talents of Caroline Brooks, Kerri Ough, and Sue Passmore.  They have tended toward a folk vibe in the past but have a new album coming out on May 26th (!!!) Burn the Plan that is described as a step away from the styles of their previous recordings.  They do covers of course, but I've found their original songs to be fun, touching, real, and just great to listen to.  I discovered them with my dad last summer at a Lake Meridian Summer Concert in my hometown in WA.  We were looking for something to do, I looked them up and was intrigued.  Cue the beginning of a love story.  I'm looking forward to getting their next album!!  (They do upbeat stuff too; these are just two of my absolute favorite songs of theirs.)

"Old Highway"



Second - The Wailin' Jennys:
"Glory Bound"


The Wailin' Jennys are another mainly Canadian group originating from WinnipegManitoba.  What was supposed to be a one-time-only guitar-shop performance turned into a super successful trio of highly talented ladies: Ruth Moody, Nicky Mehta, and Heather Massey (who is from Maine... which is practically Canadian, let's face it.)  :)  They are all classically trained in some way, whether vocally or instrumentally, and each has a well-established solo career outside of the Jennys themselves.  Their styles cover bluegrass/folk of course, but also a bit of alternative, pop, and Celtic-inspired as well.  Their version of "The Parting Glass" is the first song I ever heard of theirs and I was immediately hooked.  My favorite song they sing, however, is "One Voice," which Ruth Moody was recognized for at the International Song Competition.



And with that beautiful message, I'm signing off.

Love&Harmony,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment