Saturday, October 31, 2015

10/30 Spare Some Change?

Can you spare some change?

I shake my head, "No, sorry," with a weak smile, thinking of the few bills and coins I have stashed in my wallet.  I make it a point to not give money, usually.  When I have the time I offer to buy some food.  I aspire to have something substantial and ready to hand to those who ask - a pair of socks stuffed with some filling snack foods and some personal essentials like a toothbrush or deodorant.

But, like most people I think, when I hear "Spare some change" I think of dollars and cents.

That happened today and I continued on, thinking nothing of it.  Until BAM - a thought that struck to the very core of my heart: What about change?

Do you have something to change my life?
To change my day?
To change my moment?
Can you spare some part of your self to change a part of my own story?

And YES.  YES.

I have so much change within me.  My heart cries out for change in our society - to house the homeless, feed the hungry, to help the hurting.  To give love.

And in that moment, my heart heard the call for that kind of change, layered beneath my own prejudices and expectations brought about by living in a world where I have never truly been in need.

The world needs change.  I have the means to do something about it.

Can you spare some change?

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Ghandi

-----

[Side note that the sock idea is one that has come about recently and I really, really want to pursue it.  Shall continue working out the details.]

No comments:

Post a Comment