Saturday, February 21, 2015

Sound of Silence

Hello darkness my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping

She appeared out of thin air
A thin, pale wisp, swathed in ragged black
I saw her red eyes darken
She screamed at the world: 
CAN YOU HEAR ME!  DO YOU SEE ME!

She broke the glass wall that surrounded me
And I saw the world as it is,
          People talking without speaking
Not reflected in the glowing screen
Attached to my palm
Fueled from my veins

My back is curved in
My shoulders caved
          People hearing without listening
My neck is cramped
To stretch my fingers out 
Requires a strength I barely recall

My eyes are nearly blinded
From the constant light of connection
          People writing songs that voices never share
My ears are ringing
From the deafening quiet of disengagement
From the sound of silence.

And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence.

          But no one dared
          Disturb the sound of silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment